Friday, July 29, 2011

Gifts

I spent a few glorious days in sunny Ashland this week, relaxing with cousin Faith in her beautiful home and learning more about the community that loves and sustains her. We had plenty of time for quiet conversation, just us two, and we savored every minute of it. I fell into a routine with her dear dog, Gracie, who dutifully slept at my side each night and delighted in my willingness to take her for early morning walks. As Faith slept, I used the peaceful mornings to read and putter, cleaning the fridge and pantry and fussing over the houseplants.

Faith is currently taking a break from treatment for metastatic breast cancer. Our conversation covered broad terrain and I learned more about the isolation that she's experienced as she ponders next steps in the bold act of living. We talked about the risks involved in living an authentic life and facing the challenges of being honest with ourselves and others.

At midweek, Faith treated me to a wonderful evening of music under the stars at Britt, a lovely outdoor venue in historic Jacksonville. Serenaded by the versatile and magnetic kd lang, we relished in the full experience in the gracious company of Faith's dear friends. What a blessed gift it was to share this precious time together. Namaste, Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment