Friday, July 22, 2011

Upward facing gratitude

The practice of yoga is fundamentally an act of kindness toward oneself. As simple as that sounds, it is not something that comes naturally to most people. There are times when I am able to embrace the concept and apply it throughout my day, both on and off the mat, and I am grateful for those moments of self compassion. At other times I slip into a place of pushing or reaching that goes beyond what truly serves me. I'm learning to be grateful for those moments as well, as they remind me to soften and let go and achieve more by doing less.

The practice of self compassion, the ability to embrace the present moment, and the blessings found in opening my heart: these are the jewels I find in yoga.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely...Yes I do agree. Where are you in this beautiful setting, pray tell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be my sister's retreat center, otherwise known as her home, in the scenic Shenandoah Valley.

    ReplyDelete