Sunday, August 28, 2011

Off the list- Hallelujah!

As the prayers of the people were read aloud during worship this morning, I drew a breath of thanksgiving when Matt's name was not mentioned. For the past 12 months, we've named my nephew Matt out loud, as one of our own serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. It struck me as odd that not hearing his name was such a blessed gift. Gratitude washed over me for his safety and well-being, and for the community of Faith that has held him up in prayer these many months.

As long as we participate in wars, we'll have a list of names to speak out loud. Listen; at Faith Lutheran Church, it sounds like this: "For members and friends deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan: Jake Behning, Brevic Harris, Joseph Kelly, Michael Kuhne, Tyler Neubert, Rollis Talalemotu, Grant Thompson, Walter." Hear them, one and all, and join me in celebrating the silence that is Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment