Monday, August 1, 2011

Whidbey walkers, take 3!

Sunshine dominates the weekend forecast as Ginny, Carol, and I pack our duffels for the annual Ft. Ebey Campout with our beloved 3-Day teammates. This is our 3rd year on Whidbey Island together where we'll gather with nearly 50 fellow walkers to log miles for the upcoming 3-day, 60-mile walk.

Last year, while nursing a walking-acquired stress fracture in my foot, my buddies pushed me for miles in a rented wheelchair, circumnavigating the island undaunted in a soft rain. It served as a trial run for the 3-Day, to see if pushing a wheelchair was a feasible option. We proclaimed the experiment a success and I rented a sturdier chair for the 2010 3-Day.

This year, though we're not packing a wheelchair, we're fondly referring to our digs as the medical tent, since two of us are sidelined with injuries. Ginny has a torn meniscus and a possible stress fracture, and I've got a blister the size of Texas on the top of my foot. Whatever.

The two of us don't expect to log many miles- that's Carol's task- but we share great expectations for spirited fellowship and big-time fun in a beautiful island setting. Bring on the campfire, sticky, delectable banana boats, and the haunting song of the offshore bell, resounding through the trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment