Thursday, November 24, 2011

A day of thanks

More than three decades ago when I was not yet a mother, I jumped at the chance to work holidays. The pay was excellent and the sense of satisfaction ran high, especially during the years when I worked in intensive care. I loved the time spent with patients and their families. It seemed we all had gratitude for where we were, whether providing care, receiving it, or supporting a loved one.

At breakfast today, Mika's pager went off and a phone conversation ensued. Though not quite what we had in mind for this day, he left soon after to do three cases, all emergent and not suited to deferral for tomorrow. There was a time when I would have felt short-changed or angry. Today I told him I was proud of him and added, "Isn't it a blessing you have these skills?" Then a hug and a kiss and he was gone.

I later bundled up and headed out with the neighbor's little dog for a rainy Thanksgiving walk. They've gone across the pass today to celebrate the holiday with their young grandchildren. One parent stayed behind; she works as an ICU nurse. I hope she too can feel the blessing of this day, for what she is offering to those in need, and open to the gift that resides there.

Coming out of the woods I ducked under branches heavy with dripping leaves and spotted my foot doctor jogging in the rain. He slowed down, removed his earbuds and came close for a greeting and a hug. His delight in seeing me out walking with no obvious foot pain was not lost on me. In fact, I'd wager he was downright proud and pleased, as am I. Especially on this day of thanksgiving.

To giving and receiving; to service; and to the bountiful blessings in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment