Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Remembering Phil

Dearest Reilly,

As Godparent to you, come to me any time for answers to your questions. I'm not sure I can provide them, but be assured that I'll do my best to give you the best direction. I am limited, as everyone is, but I will not knowingly lead you astray.

My love, Phil.

P.S. Phone me collect. Anytime.

The note above was inscribed on the inside cover of The Bible Story, written by Philip Turner and illustrated by Brian Wildsmith, which Reilly received from Uncle Phil on the occasion of his baptism. Six short months later, Dr. Philip Druvanand Risto Sinanan, fondly known as Uncle Phil, died unexpectedly. It was late autumn; the holiday season was upon us. Our grief was immense. To this day, we still feel the loss of a man we longed to know better and to share the unfolding of our lives with.

On this day, the 21st anniversary of his death, I remember with great fondness my brother-in-law, Phil, and I give thanks to God for the time we had with him, however brief.

1 comment: