Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First grade wisdom

During reading groups today, a few students and I were discussing different types of homes as part of our exploration of a non-fiction book. The small early reader had pictures of all sorts of homes: houses close together; houses far apart; skyscrapers, mobile homes, houseboats, tents, homes on stilts, apartments, huts and so on.

When I asked a few questions about the different types of homes they knew about, one young girl took the lead. "Igloos! And nursing homes." Brilliant, really, and so eclectic! Then others added more.

One child had yet to offer an idea, and so I attempted to draw him in. "Brendan, how 'bout you?" Head at an angle, as if pondering the question with great concentration, he offered, "I'm just a first grader, and uhm, I'm kinda new around here."

And then, as if a brisk wind blew through and he found a fresh idea, he lit up and smiled. "Yogurts! I mean yurts!"

First graders; they're the best!

3 comments:

  1. Jen, those first graders are so lucky to have you as their teacher....for a day, a week, or a month. By the way I have always wanted to sleep in a yogurt....I mean yurt! Hugs, Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah, perhaps we can unearth a collapsible yurt for your use at Ft. Ebey this summer. Cliffside view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the mouth of babes....Ginny,I'm with you...and actually have slept in a yogurt! I mean Yurt!

    ReplyDelete