Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Food for thought

A friend posted this trailer on her blog and encouraged others to pass it along. Though I've participated in five Susan G. Komen events and am registered for my sixth, I admit I've been conflicted from the get-go on a multitude of points. Breast cancer marketing, the pink ribbon hype, and the nearly impenetrable smoke-screen of the FDA, drug companies and more have made me cringe and closely examine my involvement in the cause.

I will continue to raise funds for research, treatment and education because I believe the funding is crucial to understanding the causes, improving treatment options, and extending the reach of education far and wide in a forward march for a cure. The 3-Day, my event of choice, though loaded with hype and sappy marketing, provides a forum for me to develop my fitness, strengthen relationships, support those affected by the disease, increase awareness, and offers me a direct link to my extended community on a global issue.

I invite you to watch the trailer and share your views. Spirited discourse welcome!

1 comment:

  1. That's a powerful trailer, Jen. I do see how the marketing components that drive unholy partnerships in many cases can be seen as the commercialization of cancer -- and as pretty-ing it up.

    But I tried to ignore that when I walked. I'm with you on the reasons for walking, even though it's only 5k these days. Thanks for posting. I think everyone should see it.

    ReplyDelete