Sunday, January 8, 2012

Recollections of inversion

There was a time in my life, say, between 10-12 years of age, when I spent more time inverted than upright. Like so many children of my generation, I caught the 'upside down bug' from those days at the neighborhood pool or closest water hole, standing on my hands under water and perfecting the pointed toes and alignment as if my life depended on it. Backbends and handsprings soon followed, and then there were those long summers of trying to achieve the elusive walkover.

During my martial arts years, beginning around my 36th birthday, I rediscovered the joy of inversion, often making time to stand on my head after a sweaty workout. These days, I prefer well-supported postures, whether vertical, horizontal, inverted or otherwise.

I've got to say, though, that the photo inspires me. If I can get my feet up there, not to mention the other critical body parts, I just might try this again sometime. With a firm wall, a prayer, and spotters of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment