Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A woman of joy

Two short years ago, Mika, Reilly and I had the good fortune of vacationing in Maui at the same time as Faith and Viyda, who stayed just down the road from our place in Napili Bay. We savored it all, from daily gelato consumption to a sailing excursion aboard the America II, a 1987 America's Cup challenger.

Though the blueberry-mask facials we shared at our condo were certainly memorable, the day trip in search of the elusive guava took top honors. Public and private land were not off limits to this gang, and though it seemed we might get bitten by a dog or worse, we scored nearly 2 dozen ripe guava.

Faith treated herself to a cool-down dip in a mountain stream in the scenic Iao Valley; the only one in our party to do so. It's one of my favorite memories of her: determined, effusive, persuasive, and happy as a lark.

I miss this woman with all my heart. When we travel to Kauai in a few short weeks, I have no doubt that Faith will be there to greet us.

1 comment:

  1. I miss her, too, my friend. Safe travels to you and your family, reveling in the Maui memories past, and the Kauai memories yet to be. That's just what Faith would have wanted. xo

    Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete