Saturday, February 25, 2012

The heart that truly loves never forgets

2006
A journal entry: "I was reading aloud something I had written for Dad in 1980; she (Mom) and I both cried and I got up to hug her. Her steady tears continued as she offered, 'It must be very hard to see your parents this way.'
We hugged often during that weeklong visit, sharing remembered stories and easy laughter. Newly diagnosed with Alzheimer's that surely has been lurking for some years, she now grieves for a life muched loved and cherished, fearful of losing Andy, her home, and all she knows that anchors her in place."


2012
Perspective, perception; objective and subjective threads, braided as a single strand. What does she see? How does she make sense of her world?
I can intellectualize till I'm blue in the face, but my intuition tells me this: Mimi is here among us in this precious moment; not framed by history and dreams of the future, but rather here, now. Like an infant responding to cues- facial expressions, body language, tone and volume, quality of touch- she gleans and in an instant, responds accordingly.

I recognize that I have a choice in what I express and convey to others. And I've learned from my mother, masterful teacher that she is, that, you do in fact, reap what you sow.



No comments:

Post a Comment