Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mask on, mask off


Dear Faith,

I felt like writing about you today, but then I realized it would be much more satisfying to write to you instead.

Good morning dear heart. I miss you. Before Mika and I left home last Saturday, I had already begun to picture us here in Kauai, taking early morning beach walks and long, refreshing swims before lunch, and later, closely examining the eclectic selection at Papalani's Gelato, just across the street. I thought it would be highly likely that I would feel your presence here, having savored two Hawaiian vacations with you and Viyda in 2007 and 2010. And I have.

There are many of us, Faith, who have bountiful memories of you, who miss you dearly, and who feel your influence upon our lives day after blessed day. This may come as no surprise, but I want you to know that I feel your steady, gentle hand when I feel the most vulnerable. It's in the territory of intimacy that I often sense you at my side, giving me the courage to lean into my life with an open heart.

It's the product of our cherished relationship, Faith, and I am so grateful for that sacred gift. Warm tears, unleashed laughter, long conversations, silent foot massages, spicy meals, meandering in and out of shops. These are some of the things I'm recollecting today. Meet me at the beach in 20 minutes.

Over and out,
Jenny

3 comments:

  1. Hoping you we're able to feel the sand between your toes today ..... Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You betcha, and in a few other places as well, given my proclivity for making sand angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful memories, my friend. Go make a sand angel and name her Faith. Hugs, Ginny

    ReplyDelete