Monday, February 20, 2012

Stepping out, stepping in

My mother used to say that the best part of going away was coming home. For her, particularly in her vibrant entrepreneurial years, the coming home meant resuming her busy professional life and slipping back into the familiar. She loved her life and what she had carved out for herself and her family.

There is much about that sentiment that resonates with me, in part, I think, because I too love my life and all it encompasses. Am I chomping at the bit to get back to a classroom or rehearse with the choir? It's more the anticipation of weaving new learnings and understandings into the fabric of my daily life.

Kudos to author Miriam Beard for shining light on this notion: "Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living."

Now please pass the brussel sprouts.






No comments:

Post a Comment