Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The passage of time


I remember when I stopped wearing a watch with any regularity. We were on vacation, settling in for long, lazy days of beach and water play with our young sons. I slipped it off upon arrival, embracing the beginning of our holiday and relinquishing my focus on flight schedules. From that point forward, some twenty years ago, a new practice began.

Though I'm still tethered to time, I've learned to intuit the hour and am often able to guess the time right down to the minute. What I really want to say is this: time heals.

I don't know that I shall ever understand how the passage of time can bring us to this sacred place where we can rest in reconciliation, forgiveness, and peace, but I can try.

The passage of time. Mysterious in its powers, elusive in its value. Looking back in awe; moving forward with gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. I am always thankful for the "passage of time" and find that throughout my entire life I have relied on that knowledge as a way to deal with the present. Now for "passage of time" as it relates to aging I am not so excited! So have you ever figured out, my dear friend, where exactly does time go when it flies? And can we hear it flying by? Hugs from Ginny

    ReplyDelete