Sunday, April 8, 2012

An artifact of great significance

I never had a single aspiration of wearing it, but I can, however, say this. It took three people to help me sew this triangular head-scarf, a required project in my Home Ec class in 1968, and I nearly lost my self esteem in the process. I was terrified of the sewing machine, saw myself as inadequate and inept, and was reduced to tears more than once over the prospect of completing the project.

I've revisited the experience many times in my adult life, but not once did I wonder about the scarf or its demise. I had no memory of the fabric's design until yesterday when I unearthed the scarf in my mother's drawer. There was no mistaking it; I knew exactly what I was looking at.

For 44 years she's kept it- and I had no idea. I can't say what I plan to do with the scarf, but frankly, it matters not. The value lies in the priceless gift my mother gave to me by holding on to it all these years, cherishing it, and honoring the effort that went into its creation.

Thank you, Mom, for your enduring love.

2 comments:

  1. I was waiting for this story! love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspected as much. Know that your steady support has sustained me through this exhausting process.

    ReplyDelete