Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Connecting the dots

Like many folks, I need a certain measure of understanding about things to help me get from point A to point B. I had a professor a few years back who loved to mix it up, creating class syllabi that utilized bubbles, squiggly lines, and idea webs that nearly made me crazy. I learned to quietly place his plethora of creatively inspired handouts under my notebook and give him my undivided attention because his written materials made no sense to me at all.

Truth be told, I'm a fairly linear thinker. But believe me when I say I rarely get anywhere along a straight path. Today I connected the dots about my chronic hip issue. It's taken me five years and a boatload of practitioners and therapeutic modalities to get me there, but hey, it's all good!

The events, as I see them now, in linear form: 15 years of regular practice in martial arts with a great affinity for left-leading fighting techniques found me standing on my right leg a lot, holding my dominant leg up in a chambered position ready to fire kicks to the head-body-head in rapid succession which resulted in a less developed musculature on my left side. Knee surgery for a torn meniscus in 2003 was followed several years later by a switch to long-distance walking with a resulting lopsided stride (which I had no awareness of), then bursitis, chronic hip and groin tightness, a stress fracture and plantar fasciitis, a muscle strain on the back of the knee, ... connect those dots, Jen!

So, what's the benefit of seeing the dots and connecting them? For me, it's gaining insight, understanding, and finding some clarity. It's about finding ways to move forward sensibly, step by step, dot by dot, because frankly, I have places to go and I'm makin' my own path!

"The shortest distance between two points is the least interesting."


~ Kris Ellingson



No comments:

Post a Comment