Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Beyond hello

It's been 34 years since we had a conversation, so perhaps it should come as no surprise that our recent attempts have been both awkward and intimate.  I have questions.  Some are about the nuances of his life.  Others are focused on what we had, what we relinquished, and what, if anything, we've learned in the process of looking back.  

There is a path I walk.  It is the place I put one foot in front of the other and repeat the process over and over.  It is where I reside; I call it my life.  It is where I stand still and where I reserve the right to look back at where I've been or ahead to where I'm going.  There are choices involved.  

One never truly knows how a single act can shift the course of another.  Though I strive to be mindful of that, I am reminded how very fragile that thread of intention can be.  My friend Jan once wrote, "Courage, intelligence and love can help any situation and are never out of place."  

Once again, I see that truth made manifest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment