Monday, April 1, 2013

Inspirations

 Beautiful tree art found along the west shore of Maui, 2005. 
I am intentional in my seeking of peaceful places.  Beach and woodland walks, the yoga studio, my home; all offer me the gifts of peace and quiet.  Equally valued is inspiration, though I am less intentional in seeking it.   The important thing seems simply to be open to it; to recognize when I see, hear, or feel inspired on some level.  

After my swim today, I was pulling on my boots when a woman came into view.  She walked gingerly with the aid of a cane and appeared to have full use of her right side.  Her left arm was bent at the elbow and holding a bag; her left leg offered her sufficient stability to walk, though it was clear the left side was weak and less abled that her right.  

Deliberate and with great care, she approached.  I wanted to say something.  I wanted to speak from my heart.  It was important to first get her attention.  "Hi," I said.  She looked up, stopped, steadied herself, and returned my greeting.  Our eyes met.  I spoke with a level tone absent of drama.  "I draw inspiration from you."  

She looked at my eyes, then at my body, then back at my eyes.  Scanning me.  Reading me.  "You look like you have inspiration enough," she replied, as if she found me sufficiently whole.  I continued to meet her gaze.  "We all need inspiration, and you are offering it to me."  Before she moved on, I saw her shoulders drop and relax a little.  And she said thank you.  

The important thing was that we connected.  We both allowed it.  There was mutual giving and receiving.  

This is what makes my life rich.  

No comments:

Post a Comment