Thursday, May 2, 2013

Honoring the void

Mutual effort and teamwork yields success!
My high-spirited mother had a passion for living.  In her mid-life years and beyond, after her mastectomy, she took great pride in hitting the gym several times a week, working diligently with a personal trainer to regain range of motion and improve her upper body strength.  I recall with great fondness how she'd roll up her sleeves to show off her defined arms. 

There was much about her to love and admire.  I miss her dearly and daily.  Last night I attended my first Legacies Support Group offered by Providence Hospice.  The focus is mother loss.  There are ten of us in the group, mostly women in our fifties and sixties.  Four women are there with a sister, including two who are in their late twenties.  

Do no assume anything, including what we may or may not share in common.  Trust me when I say that our stories are vastly different.  Believe this: some of us are angry.  Most of us are experiencing fuzzy thinking and intense emotions that come in sudden waves.  Some of us are drifting through our days with no sense of direction.  All of us are seeking to fill a void.  

I know my mother would be in full support of me choosing to join such a group.  She was my number one cheerleader in nearly every endeavor I embraced over the course of my life.  She admired my self-direction and my willingness to partner with others.  She wrote intimate heartfelt letters of support that I treasure dearly.  Have I said I miss her?

Each day affords new opportunities for each of us.  Right now, for me, it's enough to simply honor that I'm grieving.  

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo, Jen...and, of course, you as well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete