Friday, October 11, 2013

Reilly!

True to the Laws of Childbirthing, this one arrived under the cover of darkness.  I was present for it all, including this: I remember being aware of sights, smells, sensation and emotions, but my sense of hearing was turned off at his birth.  Was it a complete absence of sound, or did I just not hear any words being spoken by those present?  No matter.  

What I want to say is this: this child, now a man, is in my heart today, his 25th birthday.  Allow me to wax a tad---to list for my own delight (and perhaps yours too)---a handful of things that make him who he is.

Equitable.  Self aware.  Generous.  Considerate.  Unconventional.  Spontaneous.  Organized.  Playful.  Authentic.  Wise.  Steady, yet flexible.  Loyal, truly.

Handsome!  Open-hearted.  Creative, inspired, inspiring.  Colorful.  Coordinated (though also occasionally color-coordinated).

He came bearing a message, at 7 months gestation: "I am going to bring light, playfulness and joy to the family; get ready!"

Savoring the nourishment of body, mind
 and spirit, summer 1989. 
Indeed, Reilly; indeed!  Birthday love to you! 

Taking time along the Shenandoah, October 2013.

2 comments:

  1. So much of this is all your fault you know! Good job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely enjoyed the word's of this, a loving mom !

    ReplyDelete