Thursday, February 13, 2014

Before rising

Spring's gift.
In his final year of a 7-year incarceration, he told me this.  "Before my feet hit the floor each morning, I pray."  It's one of the many things he shared with me through weekly visitations and more frequent written correspondence.  And it's one of the things that comprise his legacy.  How, day after day, through a life wrought with violence and abuse, he sought light, a precious singular shaft, sufficient to illumine a way forward.

When I woke yesterday, the third anniversary of his untimely passing, I offered this in his memory.

Gracious and compassionate God,
Open my heart today so that I might reflect your light upon others in need.  Friends grieving.  Strangers stumbling. Loved ones living with isolation.  Direct my hands and lips in service.  Amen.

Today has dawned.  The prayer still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment