Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Who's the old dog now?"

Eli with White Bear.

Old dogs, new tricks.  His delight in fetch has always been limited to the chase and retrieval; the bring it back part, well, not so much.  

We're discovering new ways to be together, Eli and me, in the changing landscape in which we find ourselves.  For the past few days, we've been goofing around in the back yard during sun breaks with balls, garden tools, and our combined energies seeking release.  First, with multiple tennis balls to keep the action moving, Eli would run to retrieve one, then march it back and strut around, taunting me to try and take it as he evaded me at every opportunity.  

Today we explored a new realm.  With gentle, patient words and attentive body language to match, I let him know how I wanted to play the game.  He followed my cues, consistently dropping the ball nearby, and waited for me to fling it again.  Hah!  

Gotta love the new trick for a pair of old dogs!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful colors! A joy to play with a dog and their eyes just show their joy back.

    ReplyDelete