Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spelling her way in j-o-y

Bill & Nancy pause for a photo at their chest-high raised bed
at the Intergenerational Community Garden at the Lynnwood Senior Center.
Three weeks ago she experienced a stroke.  Today she was planting and marking two short rows of garlic with her soft-spoken partner, Bill.  Next up in their shared day was a round of Bingo with friends at the senior center.  "I can't do the numbers right now, but Bill will h-e-l-p me and we'll …"

Her cheery demeanor and Bill's quiet witness shone like a companion star on this sunny day.  "I can't always find the words I want.  Do you g-a-r-d-e-n too?  We love this place!  We were here for the b-i-d-d-o-n!" She made open scissors with one hand and I got it straight away-- they were there for the ribbon cutting celebration last year when the community garden was officially opened!

Strangers to one another, we shared a mere 15 minutes in the noon sun together and when we parted, our collective joy was palpable.  Nancy tugged off her garden gloves, came around the raised beds, looked me in the eyes and opened her arms.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment